As part of my training to become an Japanese to English translator, I’ve done translation of a few things in my spare time. The below are all fiction works.
- “Candy Candy: Final Story” by Keiko Nagita [prologue] [Chapter 1, Part 1]
- “The man who shared my face” (俺とソックリな男が) by Shusaku Endo [short story taken from a compliation]
- “Hibana” (火花） by Naoki Matayoshi [first few pages only]
- “Downtown Rocket” (下町ロケット） by “Jun Ikeido” [prologue]
- “Teaching methods based on student native language, English edition” by Kazuko Nakagawa [section about the verbs もらう、くれる, and あげる]
- “そして、星の輝く夜がくる” (And thus, the starry night fell upon them) by 真山仁 (Mayama Jin) [First chapter]
- “Witch of the Library” (図書館の魔女) by Daisuke Takada (高田大介) [First chapter]
- “Passagio” (パッサジオ) by Hitonari Tsuji (辻仁成) [Short excerpt]
The below translations are for non-fiction works.
- Japanese book translation excerpt: “Turn your kids into billionaires by teaching them to code” by Kohji Matsubayashi
All of the above are unofficial translations and I will not be able to provide the original Japanese text (though I own the books for all of them). I fully support these authors and recommend purchasing the original books if you are interested.
The below translations are official, meaning I have gotten the authors full permission to translate and list the translation on my blog:
- ”Sluggish Symbol, Inane Illusion” (緩慢な表象と虚ろな幻想) by Yuki Fujimira (藤村由紀): Table of Contents
- “Memoirs of a Traveller” (ある旅人の手記) by Romo Mamiya (まみや ろも): First few chapters
- “Japan: A New Age” (Revolution（科学の力で日本を変革、そして宇宙へ) by Tasogarenin (黄昏人) [Table of Contents]
- “Welcome to the Raindance Cafe” (パーセント・エイジ 〜カフェ、レインダンスへようこそ！〜) by Yama Yamasaki (山崎山) [Table of Contents]
Translations of classic works available on Aozora Bunko:
If you have ideas or suggestions for things to translate please leave a comment on this post. If you would like me to translate more of any of the above works, please leave a comment on the respective post, and/or you can respond to this survey where I ask what I should focus my time on.
If you liked any of my translations and what to see more, please consider donating a little (see button below). Thanks!