As part of my training to become an Japanese to English translator, I’ve done translation of a few things in my spare time. The below are all fiction works.
- “Candy Candy: Final Story” by Keiko Nagita [prologue] [Chapter 1, Part 1]
- “The man who shared my face” (俺とソックリな男が) by Shusaku Endo [short story taken from a compliation]
- “Hibana” (火花） by Naoki Matayoshi [first few pages only]
- “Downtown Rocket” (下町ロケット） by “Jun Ikeido” [prologue]
- “Teaching methods based on student native language, English edition” by Kazuko Nakagawa [section about the verbs もらう、くれる, and あげる]
- “そして、星の輝く夜がくる” (And thus, the starry night fell upon them) by 真山仁 (Mayama Jin) [First chapter]
- “Witch of the Library” (図書館の魔女) by Daisuke Takada (高田大介) [First chapter]
- “Passagio” (パッサジオ) by Hitonari Tsuji (辻仁成) [Short excerpt]
- “A Perfect Day For Miho Mugimoto” (麦本三歩は今日が好き) By Yoru Sumino (住野よる) [Short excerpt]
- “Convenience Store Woman” (コンビニ人間) by Sayaka Murata (村田沙耶香) [First few pages]
- “Poverty Lessons” (ビンボー魂) by Toru Kazama (風間トオル) [a few pages]
- 「蜜蜂と遠雷」(Honey Bees and Distant Thunder) by 「恩田 陸」 (Riku Onda) [introduction]
The below translations are for non-fiction works.
- Japanese book translation excerpt: “Turn your kids into billionaires by teaching them to code” by Kohji Matsubayashi
All of the above are unofficial translations and I will not be able to provide the original Japanese text (though I own the books for all of them). I fully support these authors and recommend purchasing the original books if you are interested.
The below translations are official, meaning I have gotten the authors full permission to translate and list the translation on my blog:
- ”Sluggish Symbol, Inane Illusion” (緩慢な表象と虚ろな幻想) by Yuki Fujimira (藤村由紀): Table of Contents
- “Memoirs of a Traveller” (ある旅人の手記) by Romo Mamiya (まみや ろも): First few chapters
- “Japan: A New Age” (Revolution（科学の力で日本を変革、そして宇宙へ) by Tasogarenin (黄昏人) [Table of Contents]
- “Welcome to the Raindance Cafe” (パーセント・エイジ 〜カフェ、レインダンスへようこそ！〜) by Yama Yamasaki (山崎山) [Table of Contents]
- “Final Days of Summer” (残夏) by Masaki Hashiba (ハシバ柾) [Table of Contents]
- The Rainlands (雨の国) by Haruka Asahi (朝陽遥) [Table of Contents]
Translations of classic works available on Aozora Bunko:
If you have ideas or suggestions for things to translate please leave a comment on this post. If you would like me to translate more of any of the above works, please leave a comment on the respective post, and/or you can respond to this survey where I ask what I should focus my time on.
If you are interested in hiring me to translate anything, please contact me as selftaughtjapanese (at) gmail.com. Rate will depend on word count and content, and for some works I may be able to translate an initial portion for free as a sample.
If you liked any of my translations and what to see more, please consider donating a little (see button below). Thanks!